Thousand Oaks, Ventura 'Hands Off!' protests bring out thousands

21 hours ago 1

All four corners of the intersection of Lynn Road and Hillcrest Drive in Thousand Oaks were packed to the brim with protesters holding signs and chanting as part of the Hands Off! National Day of Action Saturday.

"I honestly got emotional," said Bryan Stern, 40, from Thousand Oaks. The turnout was more than Stern expected and seeing and hearing the way his city turned out to protest recent actions taken by the Trump administration made him proud, he said. Stern attended the rally along with his girlfriend, Risa Middleton, 44, and her parents.

While the protest fell under the Hands Off! umbrella of demonstrations around the U.S. Saturday, the event was put together by local organizations Indivisible Simi Valley, Indivisible Conejo and Women United for Change, said Leanna Brand of Indivisible Simi Valley.

Organizers counted around 1,300 sign-ups before the event, but they estimate more than 2,000 attendees showed up to the intersection from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Brand said.

The intersection was full of people of all ages and backgrounds highlighting an array of causes including climate change, health care, social security, tariffs, women's rights and more.

"I'm appalled by what they are trying to do to our democracy," said Lisa Richardson, 69, of Thousand Oaks, referencing President Donald Trump and Elon Musk's Department of Government Efficiency.

Participants also lined the sidewalk along West Hillcrest Drive, east of Lynn Road, around the edge of the mall. They held signs and chanted slogans such as "Hey hey, ho ho, Donald Trump has got to go."

Audrey and Mike Spadone, 67 and 64, respectively, traveled from San Fernando to attend. Mike was no stranger to protests, having taken part in many against climate change. His wife Audrey was a first-time protester who attended despite being typically overwhelmed with crowds, the couple said.

The Thousand Oaks demonstration wasn't the only one held in Ventura County Saturday. Some gathered in Ojai. In Ventura, Justice for All Ventura County along with Indivisible's Ventura chapter and 50501 held a similar event at the Ventura County Government Center from 10 a.m. to noon.

Shane Meserve, board president for Justice for All Ventura County, said organizers estimate at least 1,500 people attended the Ventura gathering, which also included people originally slated to protest at Ventura City Hall.

Demonstrators filled up all four corners at Victoria Avenue and Telephone Road, she said. They also extended along Victoria nearly to Highway 101, she said.

People were already demonstrating when Meserve arrived around 9:20 a.m., she said, and were still at it when she left around 2 p.m.

"People are hot to trot right now," she said. "We want folks to know we are not happy with the way the federal government is going."

No significant incidents were reported to law enforcement as of late afternoon. The Thousand Oaks demonstration remained peaceful, said Ventura County Sheriff's Capt. Mike McConville. Ventura Police Department Cmdr. Ryan Weeks said no issues had been reported at the Ventura event.

Ernesto Centeno Araujo covers breaking news for the Ventura County Star. He can be reached at ecentenoaraujo@vcstar.com.

This article originally appeared on Ventura County Star: Thousand Oaks, Ventura 'Hands Off!' protests draw thousands

Read Entire Article